When just learning to play golf, it’s important to start with the basics and get them right before moving on. After all, golf is a challenging game and without a solid foundation, you’ll most likely find yourself frustrated and throw in the towel before you ever get started.
Although there is a lot to learn, it’s important to take it in stride and not become overwhelmed. The key is to take your time and get it right. Golf is a game you can enjoy for a lifetime, so commit yourself and enjoy the ride.
Golf Terminology – On the course, you will hear things like bogey, birdie, bump and run, and bunker and for most beginners, it’s pretty confusing. Don’t worry, you will learn what it all means and be speaking golf in no time.
Rules of Golf – There is no doubt that golf has a lot of rules. You’ll find that they are pretty important especially if you play in a tournament. Again, you will learn them over time but if you want to get up to speed quickly, golf lessons are a great idea.
Golf Wardrobe – If you have ever been on the course or watched the PGA you will know that some of the colors you’ll see are pretty bright. The rule of thumb is to wear a collared shirt and shorts or pants. No cut offs and T-shirts allowed.
Making sure you know the do’s and don’t of golf etiquette is a must if you want to be allowed on the course. Yes, there are a lot of rules to learn but some are more important than others. They include:
- Keep up with the pace of play – When it’s your turn, be ready.
- Fix divots – Always repair the course before moving on.
- No talking – When a golfer is getting ready for their shot, stay quit so they can focus.
- Playing through – If your group is slow, let others play through.
Of course, there are additional considerations and you will want to learn them if you make golf a part of your life.
Although having the proper equipment is important, you certainly don’t have to have it all on your first day. You will need:
- Golf clubs – before you make a big investment, it’s best to get a few basic clubs. If you take lessons, they will be provided and your coach can help you to determine what you do need.
- Golf bag – you will need to carry your clubs but getting a bag that stands up automatically and has straps is a good idea.
- Golf balls – as a beginner you won’t need anything expensive.
- Tees – you can get a bag of these without spending much at all.
There are endless amounts of golf gear but as a beginner it’s best to only get what you need to play. You can always add new things as you need them.
Learning how to play golf is an amazing experience. The game is fun, challenging and sometimes even heartbreaking. When first learning, don’t be discouraged as it will take time to feel like you’re showing any improvement. Lessons are a great way to get started so you will learn everything you need in order to have proper techniques for a great start to the game.